Saturday, January 27, 2007

Responding to weight loss

I got a little excited when I woke up this morning. I've been doing a good job with my eating, and a good job getting my butt out of the house for walks (long or short) as I increase my activity level, so I thought, Well, I'll go ahead and weigh myself, even though it's only the fifth day since my last weigh-in.

I'm down 2.2 pounds this week. My first reaction? "WHEEE! That's 7 POUNDS since January 1st!" (Then some jumping up and down.) "And they're the easiest pounds I've ever lost! This is crazy!" My second reaction, a few minutes later? "Oh no, am I losing weight too quickly? What if I'm losing muscle instead of fat? What if I'm developing a complex?"

I'm not. I'm not any of those things. I have been eating healthfully--carefully paying attention to what my body needs, not letting cravings overwhelm me--while increasing my metabolism by making sure to eat a reasonable breakfast and getting myself out for exercise here and there. But somehow, losing weight--especially losing it without trying so damn hard--freaks me out a little. I'm taking care of myself instead of whipping/beating/cajoling myself into better shape, and that feels strange, and there's a part of me that doesn't know what to do with that. Is part of me afraid to lose weight? I don't ever have a strong reaction to that question, as some dieters do. I don't know if part of me is into self-sabotage or not. I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing, reminding myself of my value and my good sense and letting things roll along. I'm going to keep taking good care of myself, and I'll work through the emotions as I go.

Lisa Jane has a great post about intuitive eating here. I don't know if what I'm doing falls strictly into that category, but I think it's somewhat similar.

And I have to say I really enjoy the encouragement I'm getting from other healthy eating/dieting/exercise blogs--and from the comments some of y'all leave here, as well. When I start feeling a bit stressed over food--feel myself falling into old patterns of either too strict control over food or too much craziness over food--I flip through the blogs and read about some successes people are having, and I read people's responses to my post. Both of those things get pumped up again about taking good care of myself.

5 comments:

Mal said...

Congrats on the changes! 7 pounds since January 1st is just about right, I'd think, at the beginning of a lifestyle change. That's around 2 pounds a week and that's what is recommended. Your body is responding to the nice ways you are treating it and that's something to be celebrated.

Weight Master said...

Good blog. Eating healthy and exercising is the best way to go.

Nuka said...

That is so great! I am so glad you stopped by my blog so we could be introduced! :) It's super common to lose weight fast in the beginning stages of weightloss. You are right on track!! ;D

PearShapedGirl said...

Well done, Veggie! I know first hand what it's like to second guess your weight-loss and read more into it than necessary. I think we just need to give ourselves a break, and celebrate all the little weight-loss achievments. Keep doing what you're doing, sounds like it's working!

Take care,
PSG

Sally JPA said...

Mal, yes, 7 pounds is reasonable, but it's far more than I had expected when I'm not counting calories or forcing myself into long periods of heavy exercise. I'm definitely pleased.

Weight and CS, thanks.

Pear, I am still struggling a bit with some random anxiety about food. I know I know how to eat healthfully, but suddenly I'm questioning it. Strange. I intend to post on it soon. In the meantime, I'm trying to just keep on keeping on and give my poor brain a chance to catch up.