Sunday, January 21, 2007

This week's meals

This is the post I'm writing while I'm procrastinating from going to the grocery store. It's raining, and I hate the end parts of grocery shopping in the rain--unpacking the cart in the rain, and trudging up to our apartment while the bags bead up with water and I get damp and frizzy. Ick. It doesn't look like the rain is easing up, though, so I probably will be out in it in a few moments.

Yesterday at the farmer's market, I purchased these items:

turnips

rutabagas

African squash

kale

rainbow chard

sweet potatoes

peas (some type of heirloom peas similar to field peas)

baby spinach

salad mix

arugula

micro cilantro

. . . and from the bakery, we got a loaf of whole-wheat sourdough for me to test whether sourdough still makes me sick. Oh, that piece of bread was delicious with the soup I had for lunch. A year and a half without sourdough was too long (or maybe just long enough--we'll see).

veggies-from-market.jpg

Given that I can't shake the cold drafts creeping through our house (now that it's actually cold this week, we need to tape the windows), all I want to eat this week is food that is healthy but also warm and comforting. This is our meal plan for the week:

Sunday: winter vegetable pot pie with hummingbird peas and Kentucky biscuit topping

Monday (early dinner by necessity = easy meal): homemade pizza with walnut pesto, pears, and caramelized onions; then a salad with a homemade raspberry dressing (no vinegar, made with frozen raspberries) on top of it

Tuesday: leftovers

Wednesday (another early dinner by necessity = easy meal) : blue corn tacos with black beans, guacamole, salsa, and fresh corn with cilantro; and low-fat pumpkin soup on the side

Thursday: dinner at Margaret's

Friday: African squash/sage mac'n'cheese with a side of garlicky chard

In a surprise move yesterday, my husband--one of the world's sausage lovers--announced to me that he will no longer be eating pork after reading this Rolling Stone article about hog farming. Then he said he might consider organic pork, but would still have reservations about the waste issues. Very interesting and surprising.

Of course, Fast Food Nation did the same thing for me when it comes to fast food meats, and, to a great extent, beef and chicken in general. If you care about your health, and the health of our waterways and land, and the welfare of all the world's creatures (or any of those things), you should make that the next book you read if you haven't done so yet. It's fascinating and horrifying and sometimes sympathetic and very well-written overall.

No comments: