Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A salad on the side

I've stocked my freezer at work with frozen, healthy meals (both homemade and store-bought) in a variety of flavors: Moroccan, Southwestern, American, Italian. My goal is to keep myself from going out to eat (where I spend more money than I would like and often end up with unhealthy foods) by having a good variety of things to eat here.

For the past two years, salad dressings have made me sick because of their acidity. Due to medicine I have been taking for about six months, the acidity of food bothers me less than it used to. I learned last week that I can now eat this homemade dressing without pain:

Lower-Acid Meyer Lemon Dressing

Meyer lemon juice (A Meyer lemon is a cross between an orange and a lemon.)
olive oil (3 parts olive oil to one part lemon juice)
small amount of honey (to taste)
Mrs. Dash garlic and herbs dressing
small amt. of Lawry's seasoning salt
other herbs, to taste

Put ingredients in a jar with a lid, and shake and stir until well-mixed. With a lid on the jar, you can keep the dressing up to a week in the fridge. (I wash out and re-use jelly jars for things like this.)

I realized today that one obvious solution to my desire for fresh lunches is to include a small salad with my main meal. With a little dressing on the salad and either fruit, nuts, or a small amount of cheese thrown in, my salad will be a delicious accompaniment to whatever else I eat at work. And it will help keep me up to my 2/3 veggies goal. Fantastic! Now I need to start putting this in practice. . . .

No comments: